Busyness vs. Business

Monday, April 11, 2011

{image from the lovely Sweet Harvey}


I've been hustling around trying to get my business all ship-shape...I've got a big craft show coming up, orders to fill, an e-book to complete, and oh, yes! a baby to coming in June. Amidst all the craziness of answering inquiries and checking off my daily to-do list, it dawned on me that I was up to my eyeballs in busyness not business.


Whatever do I mean? 


Well, as the captain of my own boat called small business, it's easy to lose sight of the long-term vision, the bigger dream we've all dreamed up, and instead focus only on the nitty gritty.  Not to say the daily grind and details aren't super important (oh they are!) but it's important to stay mindful of the direction we're headed and think of the big picture. 


If we're continually refocused on the bigger picture of our business then our daily grind has purpose, we're fulfilling those tasks in harmony with our vision, and our brand is being reinforced and strengthened.


Making daily decisions & staying busy without sight of our vision leads to chaos, confused brands, and an empty feeling of not accomplishing something bigger.  It's tempting to just stay busy - it makes us feel productive- but it's important to defrost the goggles and look beyond the to-do list. 


A few ways to avoid busyness and refocus on business:

  • Post your vision big and proud - maybe above your work area, computer, entering your studio...
  • Stop! Take a break from all the little tasks and just sit and think - ponder, imagine, dream, define
  • Write down some long-term goals (here's my handy goal tracking sheet) and refer to them again & again
  • Allocate time each week to review your business and marketing plans (easy steps to creating a marketing strategy)
  • Step back from it all and just enjoy what you've created! 

How do you avoid busyness and refocus on business?


{read more businessy tips from my Business Bits page}

7 comments :

Danielle said...

Ive been trying to get better about writing goals down and allocating time, its not my style, but im trying!

Danielle said...

Tenie

Linda said...

Thank you for the timely post! I've just finished days of intense early morning to late night promoting of my patterns and demonstrating techniques at a Shop Hop and it has left me feeling drained. I needed this. I can use this time to refocus and reevaluate my goals.
Thanks again!

Kelley said...

This is a great post. I think you would enjoy the blog Makeunder My Life. She writes a lot about designing a small business with intention.
http://makeundermylife.com/

markjacobs said...

good advice. inspired by pastor kip? :)

Live a Colorful Life said...

I actually need to back away from the computer and stop reading blogs, which takes up precious time. But then HOW would I have read your timely post?

allisa jacobs said...

Love all the feedback, hooray!

Kelley- thank you so much for the site suggestion, it is an awesome blog :)