Make It Do Monday - Unsubscribe

Monday, December 05, 2011


























A few weeks ago Arianne Faulks from Aeolidia shared a stop-me-in-my-tracks kind of post on Oh My Handmade - "End Each Day With an Empty Inbox."  


My first thought was, "Do some people really have empty inboxes? I want one!"  I didn't care if I only whittled my inbox that runneth over down to half, it had to be better than the virtual mess I had going on. I implemented many of her tips (brilliant they are!) and have since enjoyed a much more focused inbox. I ended up unsubscribing to dozens of newsletters and messages- many of which I honestly don't remember signing up for, but somehow got in the habit of just deleting every morning. 


But the whole process got me thinking....


How many times do I go through life just deleting things; comments, thoughts in my head, memories, images?  Each morning waking up to the same old figurative junk mail that I never pay attention to but waste time "clicking and deleting"?  


So, I've made it sort of a simplifying celebration this month- identifying not just what needs to go, but what should not even be here in the first place. Like the random newsletters, political emails, guilt-inducing animal rights campaigns (still a member, but I just can't look at those photos everyday!), and messages that fall short of inspiring -- I'm unsubscribing to the "junk mail" in my head. 


And it feels sooo good. 


{image credit thriftypyg}

1 comment :

Meagan said...

This is great & I'm right there with you. Not so much on the 0 inbox thing yet, but definitely with the email newsletters. For me I love signing up for things that will be beneficial to me, but if they become not-so-beneficial or aren't delivering value anymore, they've got to go.