Somethings Got to Give- My Handmade Christmas

Friday, December 19, 2008


I'm happy to say I avoided the malls this year.; no angry SUV drivers cutting me off for parking spaces, no loud & obnoxious teens, no sulky men desperate to find something-anything. No high priced what-me-nots, no crazy red slashed prices, no settling on just whatever's left.

Instead, I'm making most of our gifts this year...of course, I've always loved giving away handmade items but I started a little earlier this year (though not early enough-I've still got a few left!) and am hoping that nearly all our gifts will be sewn by me. Partly because of the economy, partly because our family just keeps growing and mostly because it feels so much better to give something I've actually spent time creating. The downside is, there is always such anticipation watching someone open a gift I've made myself- I mean what if they grimace or crinkle their nose....But then I remember that the gifts I love most are the ones folks have made or put together just for me- the drawings from my husband, the wooden bowl my brother made in shop class, the photo DVD collage from my two best friends, an apron my mother sewed, and the little baby quilt Jack's godmother made- these are what I love the best.

Here's a few that are finished...and let's just hope the recipients don't start reading this blog now!

1 comment :

Live a Colorful Life said...

Your gift recipients will be really happy. Here it is the 20th and I haven't started on my sewing projects yet. Yikes! Must.Quit.Procrastinating.