Business Bits - Living & Breathing

Monday, December 13, 2010


It's been awhile since my last business bits post. I had to take a short(ish) pregnancy break but am excited to round out the year with a few more posts! 


I set out a to write a year's worth of business posts, one each Monday, and am thrilled with what they've become. So much so that I'm toying with the idea of compiling & enhancing the posts to create an e-book in the new year. 


But, there's a wee bit left in this year and I've really thought long & hard about what it means to have a shop. Like, what the heck is this all about?  During the last few months while contemplating all the big things people consider when a new one is expected to their family, I really had to think over my shop. I've gone from extremes- thinking perhaps I should start something totally new, go back to teaching, pursue a new career, create all new items, write an autobiography ....



....all of this thinking really stressed me out. Until I realized that's it's part of having a creative shop. It's an ongoing process. 


A little light bulb went off & it occurred to me that I had this same realization when I was teaching- and after recognizing that my classroom & teaching was a process, it all felt right....and ultimately I was more successful. 


Because my shop, like my classroom, is not a noun- it's not just a thing or place. It is constantly growing. Or at least it should. It requires constant attention & introspection. And asking myself questions - as well as using the feedback from buyers (or students!) can gently guide the direction it takes. 


Many new shop owners write me & ask things like "do my things look OK?" "can I just write this?" "do I have to do this?" ....all questions that are difficult to answer. Because it's not just something to cut & paste....just like a classroom is more than just having bulletin boards & desks. A shop is not just made up of bags & words & pictures.   A successful shop requires that spark of life.  It is essentially a living & breathing space- because it is you.  


It is my goal in the new year to find & hold onto that spark. 

2 comments :

Live a Colorful Life said...

Great post, as always. Yes in 2010 my spark was definitely smooshed to smithereens. Looking forward to 2011.

P.S. the e-book idea is genius! I would love to have all your business bits in one handy place!

zoetropa said...

Such a great post! It's funny, I've been asking myself similar questions lately too. I have some new ideas for 2011 twirling around in my head and can't wait to see where it all goes! It really is all about growing! :)