Patchwork Star Ornament Tutorial

Thursday, December 06, 2012



Every year, I create a new ornament for each of my boys. It's a little tradition I started for Jack's first Christmas. One year, I made this star in his favorite colors; orange & blue and it turned out so well, I thought I'd share my process! 

I think these make the perfect little gifts and are a lovely way to use bits of fabric. I used scraps from my Carlsbad collection available through Spoonflower. 
Materials: 

Fabric pieces
Button
Stuffing 
Ribbon for hanging, approximately 6"
Needle & Thread
Template Download

I've created a printable download for you with the star piece templates. It's set for about a 5" star but you could increase the size when printing for bigger ones. 

1. Cut out your pieces and lay out how you'd like them 
2. Start with two pieces, right sides together and sew with a 1/4" seam. STOP sewing 1/4" from the end, where the middle of your star will be.  That makes it possible to put all the pieces together. 
3. Repeat for each of the pieces. When you get to the final two, you will be sewing all the pieces together and they should come together in star, given you've allowed for that 1/4" extra when stitching. 
4. Press and trim your seams to they're nice & neat. 
5. With the backside of your star, pin the right sides together. Be sure to tuck in your ribbon loop at one of the star points, so that the loop is inside your pieces. (you may want to stitch in place before pinning pieces together). 
6. Stitch around your star with a 1/4" seam, leaving a gap on side of the star. Be sure to backstitch at each point. 
7. Gently pull your star right side out through the gap. Press & stuff. 
8. With your star filled with stuffing, hand stitch the opening close. 
9. Almost done.... hand stitch a button on the center of your star covering the middle where the pieces meet.  (Of course, if yours is a little more neat then mine, your middle may look lovely & you can just leave it that way!)  I like to start my knot at the top, so it will be ultimately covered by the button. 
10. Voila, a lovely little patchwork star! 


Download template here

Hope you enjoy this project. Would love see what you create!