One Moment Good Enough For Me - Patsy Cline

Friday, September 24, 2010



This morning, just like many other mornings, little Jack asked me to sing to him. And as usual, he requested "Walkin' After Midnight" - the song I've been singing to him since his very beginning. Partly because it's one of my favorite songs in the world, partly because I know all the words, but mostly because I have cherished memories of my grandmother, mother, & uncle dancing & laughing to Patsy Cline. Even as a child I knew they were each fighting their own difficult battles- but for a brief moment, this music filled us all with goodness.

 And so today, while holding Jack & doing my best with this song, he joyfully exclaimed, "Mama's a good singer!"

Now, if you know me at all & have ever heard me belt out country oldies, you know very well that this is in fact not true. I'm a horrible singer. I am deaf in one ear & have no idea what I really sound like except that it can't be good.


But, I took a pause & soaked it in. And oh how I wish I could bottle up that love & warmth & happiness and keep that moment forever. Because I am a good singer. To Jack. And that is more than enough for me.



Motivated to share this piece of time by Linda's series One Moment on her A la mode blog. Thank you Linda for being ever inspiring!

om [one moment] meet up

7 comments :

Angie said...

Oh, this just melts my heart. I love to sing to my children. I'm terrible, but they don't know that. Remember your target audience, they're the only ones who matter.

Angela Flicker: The Art of Making a House a Home in Utah said...

I think a tear just feel from my eye, seriously. It's awesome how our kids adore us, and we them. Keep singing sister ;)

Unknown said...

Can't get much better than sharing something with your child that you remembered from your own childhood. And what an great song!

I'm sure Jack will remember all the times you sang to him.

Priceless moment!

Cyn at RiverDog Prints said...

I have the same memories from childhood for the song "Moonriver." I used to sing that to my boys when they were small. I love that our kids allow us the freedom to sing out loud, no matter our skill, and still adore us. A great moment!

And Patsy Kline will always be cool.

Cyn at RiverDog Prints said...

I mean Cline. :)

allisa jacobs said...

Thank you for all the sweet comments! I am happy I kept this moment as best I could be sharing it here. xoxo

Jen Morris said...

Manchero Woman memories :)